Estate Planning: Wills, Powers of Attorney, Representation Agreements
Estate Planning can help minimize tax and provide a clear transition of assets.
Few people appreciate that a Will is one of the most important documents that they will ever sign. A Will protects your property, your legacy, and your children or grandchildren by:
- Setting out your wishes as to how you want your estate (what you own) to be divided;
- Appointing executors and trustees to administer your Estate;
- Appointing guardians to take care of your minor children; and
- Including specific bequests, directions, and exclusions in how to distribute your Estate.
If you don’t have a Will, your Estate will be administered in accordance with the provisions of the Wills, Estates and Succession Act which may not reflect your wishes and will probably result in significantly more expense to your estate.
Our lawyers have expertise in the following areas:
- Estate planning
- Preparation of Wills, trusts, powers of attorney, representation agreements, and living Wills
- Obtaining grant of letters of probate where a person dies with a Will
- Obtaining grant of letters of administration where a person dies without a Will
- Contesting a Will
- Estate litigation
- Related tax matters
Our firm offers an exceptional depth of experience in all areas of estate planning and administration. We work closely with accountants, tax advisors, and financial advisors to ensure that all documents are prepared to maximize the management and distribution of your estate.
We strive to fully understand your personal circumstances and assets to ensure that your Will reflects your wishes and protects your legacy.
When planning your Will, consider the following:
- Are you confident that your legal affairs are organized so that your wishes, upon death, will be carried out?
- If you are unable to make your own decisions due to illness, do you have protections in place to ensure that your estate is managed properly by someone you trust?
- Are you interested in planning your affairs to reduce taxes?
- Do you want to avoid family conflict in your planning or resolve a conflict that already exists?
- Are you confident that you have the right executor who will do the job efficiently and without conflict?
Our expert team of lawyers can give you that peace of mind through effective planning. For over 90 years, we have been helping people like you organize their legal affairs with confidence and ease.
We prepare well-crafted Wills that protect your loved ones and the assets that you have worked so hard to accumulate.